Is it your first time smoking weed?
Everyone starts out as a beginner at some point, so don’t be embarrassed! For first-time cannabis users, the numerous types of products, different strains, and accessories can feel intimidating and overwhelming. Luckily, we’re here to help!
We wrote this article for those about to try weed for the first time, and we’re going to look at how it’ll affect you, how to smoke it, what accessories you’ll need to enjoy cannabis, and so much more. By the end of this article, you’ll be armed with tons of helpful pro tips and tricks of the trade to ensure your first time smoking weed is fun and hassle-free.
Why are so many people trying cannabis for the first time?
Cannabis has been legal in Canada since 2018, and legalization laws are spreading south of the border and across the world, making plenty of people curious about the benefits of cannabis. With its increasing acceptance in the mainstream, millions of people are finally ready to try weed for the first time.
But cannabis newbies should get to know the effects of smoking before their first weed experience. Let’s take a look at some important things to know before smoking weed for the first time, along with some general tips.
How Does Cannabis Work?
Cannabis contains two essential components:
- Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- Cannabidiol (CBD).
These are the two most famous cannabinoids, which are chemical compounds found in cannabis.
THC is responsible for the euphoric high by releasing dopamine in the body which produces the chill effects of smoking weed.
On the other hand, CBD is not psychoactive (meaning it won’t get you high), but it’s renowned for many benefits such as relieving pain, helping you sleep, and reducing inflammation. CBD’s calming effects can also help those with anxiety. CBD products are especially popular among people who want some of the benefits of cannabis without the high.
First-time users should be mindful of THC and CBD content and stick to a lower, beginner-friendly percentage of THC (around 10-15% THC).
What to Expect When Smoking Weed for the First Time
The question we hear a lot is: ‘How will it feel the first time I smoke?’ The fact is that cannabis is experienced by everyone differently. While looking at the strain genetics, potency, and categories of cannabis are guides for users – but the effects will vary from person to person.
Some people might not feel anything the first time they smoke weed, while others will experience an intense, euphoric high.
Why Don’t I feel “High”?
Some people don’t experience a distinct “high” the first time they smoke weed. There are a few reasons that this happens! Whether it’s because someone is too nervous, excited, or hesitant— or maybe they simply didn’t know how to smoke it properly— it can cause significantly subdued effects or even no effect at all.
One of the biggest reasons people don’t feel high after their first time smoking weed is that they are afraid to INHALE! But it’s important to know when smoking a joint, the THC in the smoke gets into your bloodstream through your lungs, which means if you don’t inhale the smoke into your lungs, you’re not getting high.
You need to deeply “breathe in” and let the smoke fill your lungs to get high, but don’t overdo it. If you’re smoking weed for the first time, your inhale, or “toke”, should be about two to three seconds long before you exhale.
If it’s your first time smoking weed, you’ll probably cough. So, make sure to have some water nearby and take shorter tokes because your lungs aren’t ready for those long, lung-expanding tokes yet!
- Did you know: Most of the THC gets absorbed into your bloodstream within the first few seconds anyways, so holding the smoke in for long periods of time isn’t necessary either, especially for your first time.
What Does it Feel to Smoke for the First Time?
Ever wonder what it feels like to be “high”? If you do happen to get high the first time you smoke weed, you’ll feel several effects, including:
- Euphoria – Many users say they experience a euphoric, content, or uplifting feeling. Depending on the strain, you may get a case of the giggles and find everything around you absolutely hilarious.
- Heightened Senses – Some cannabis users experience heightened senses and, while high, become more sensitive to sensory such as light, sound, and taste. If you’ve got friends that think smoking weed can enhance anything from music, movies, food (or anything else for that matter), this is why.
- Hunger – This “myth” is true. Smoking weed does, indeed, give you the munchies.
- Decreased Pain – Smoking weed for medicinal purposes can help to reduce pain caused by illness. Cannabis, when used properly, can also help alleviate nausea, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, and more.
- Coughing – For beginners and pros alike, coughing is a typical occurrence when inhaling smoke. If you get sent into a coughing spiral, take a moment to relax and get your breath back. Drinking some water can help. But most importantly – don’t be embarrassed, it happens to everyone!
How to have the best first-time experience with weed
When smoking weed for the first time, some people may feel uncomfortable or sad. In rare cases, a “bad high” can increase feelings of paranoia, dizziness, confusion, or exacerbate existing depression and anxiety.
But you can mitigate (or perhaps avoid altogether) the side effects by ensuring you’re in a comfortable situation surrounded by people that they trust.
If your high does take a turn for the worse, don’t freak out! Just take some deep breaths and know that the feelings will pass.
You can also try mellowing out the effects by putting on some soothing music, getting some fresh air, drinking plenty of water, having a snack, relaxing in a hot bath, or simply going to bed.
Products and Accessories Needed to Smoke Weed for the First Time
All the necessary accessories, tools, and products associated with cannabis use can feel intimidating. Do you really need all that for your first time smoking? Our suggestion is to keep it simple and begin with the basics.
You may see veteran smokers hitting a bong, doing dabs, or chilling with a vape in their hands. For first-timers, however, an excellent place to start is a perfectly rolled cannabis joint.
Don’t know how to roll? No problem. Most online dispensaries like Budmail offer high-quality pre-rolled joints to get you rolling! Pre-rolls are convenient, affordable, and are usually available in a variety of sativa and indica strains.
Other Ways to Consume Cannabis
When you graduate from joints (or don’t – nothing wrong with a classic j!), you may want to try these other methods of consuming cannabis. Cannabis products like oils, concentrates, and tinctures are becoming more popular thanks to their higher potencies and convenience.
- Tinctures & Capsules – Tinctures can be used topically (applied to the skin), added to joints, consumed with food, or dropped under the tongue.
- Vaping – Vaping allows users to utilize a vape pen device to inhale vaporized cannabis concentrates such as oil and wax. It’s easier on the lungs and is more discreet than smoking.
- Edibles – Edible cannabis products come in a variety of flavours with varying levels of potency and effects.
- Concentrates – Concentrates are products with concentrated levels of cannabinoids and terpenes, allowing for higher potency, more efficient consumption, and mouthwatering flavours.
- Topicals – Topicals are applied to the skin and are used for various medicinal and recreational purposes. These come in the form of lotions, creams, and even tinctures.
As you get more comfortable, you can experiment with different types of cannabis products and accessories. Here are some popular accessories for smoking weed that you may need:
- Rolling Papers – For rolling flower into a joint. Available in a variety of sizes.
- Filter Tips – Used at the end of a joint
- Disposable Vapes – For single-use vaporizing of cannabis oils
- Vape Pen Batteries – Additional batteries for multiple-use vape pens
5 Tips for First Time Weed Smokers
Before you dive in, here are some valuable tips to keep in mind the first time you smoke weed. Aside from having all the necessary products and accessories, it’s also essential to plan ahead so you feel safe and comfortable for your first time. Having some snacks in the fridge also doesn’t hurt!
1. Don’t Make Plans
Your first time getting high, don’t schedule any meetings, commitments, or obligations. Free up your schedule so you can relax, guilt-free. The worst thing when you’re high is having to go somewhere, or even worse – see someone you don’t want to see. Plus, you’ll likely fall asleep, anyway! Or you could feel too self-conscious or aware that you’re high, which the other person might notice, which isn’t ideal either.
2. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!
Drinking water is, well, a life necessity! It’s even more important while smoking weed. Fill that sports bottle and have it close by! Remember to hydrate while you’re smoking so you can avoid a dehydrated brain fog the following day. It can help ease any coughing fits, especially when your lungs aren’t used to the smoke.
3. Have Snacks on Hand
It’s a well-known fact that smoking weed can cause a major surge of the “munchies.” Since you don’t yet know what you’ll be craving, stock up on some salty and sweet treat options for when the mood strikes!
4. Feel Comfortable & Safe
Especially when you’re smoking for the first time, it’s a good idea to surround yourself with people you feel comfortable around. It’s not the time to hang out with someone new! Make sure you feel safe – and just in case you ever feel uncomfortable or unwell, make sure to have a plan in place to get home safely.
5. Take it Slow & Get to Know Your Limits
The most important thing to remember when smoking weed for the first time is to take it slow. As time goes on, the more you smoke weed, the more you’ll get to understand your limits and your sweet spot!
Smoking weed for the first time is NOT when you should hit the ground running! Take it slow. You can slowly experiment with different products, potencies and amounts until you find what works for you.
Where to Buy Cannabis Products
With legalization across Canada, cannabis products are available from a number of different retailers. Seekers of the bud can visit a government retailer for cannabis products, but the easiest and most convenient way to purchase cannabis is through online dispensaries.
Virtual weed stores and online dispensaries provide various products, straight-to-your-door shipping, and a secure and discreet shopping experience.
Final Thoughts on Smoking Weed for the First Time
You won’t be a “newbie” forever! In the meantime, don’t have too many expectations. Relax, and enjoy the experience! Be safe, and remember that you don’t need to take it too seriously.
As you get a chance to try different strains and cannabis products, you’ll slowly discover what’s right and what works for you. Everyone experiences cannabis differently. Consider your intentions, take your time to sample different products, and have fun!
Check out Budmail’s extensive list of beginner-friendly cannabis products and accessories to get you started. No matter where you’re at in your weed smoking journey, there’s a product that’s right for you. Remember to take it slow, experiment, and enjoy the process.
Harvard Health Publishing: Cannabidiol (CBD) — what we know and what we don’t.
Live Science: How does cannabis get you high?.
CTV News: Trying Cannabis for the first time?.
Civilized.Life: What to expect when you smoke weed for the first time.